Details of the junto, followed by my comments on this track:
Disquiet Junto Project 0013: Classical Textures
Plan: For the 13th Disquiet Junto project, we’ve been given something special. This is a shared-sample project. There is a tremendous classical chamber-music ensemble in Los Angeles. Its name is wild Up, and it has provided to us the first movement of its recording of the Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a, by Dimitri Shostakovich. Better yet, wild Up has provided to us the individual stems from a live multi-track recording of the symphony. There are 10 tracks in all, ranging from the bass to the woodwinds, and everything in between. There is no isolation between tracks. What there is is an emphasis on different aspects of the ensemble — and, thus, of the original composition. You are invited to make something new from this source material. Please use only the source material — as few or as many of those 10 source tracks as you desire.
Length: Please keep your piece to between two and seven minutes in length.
More on wild Up at:
Listen to the original recording at:
More details on the Disquiet Junto at:
About Dreamy Madness:
I put all 10 separate tracks in Sony Acid and listened to the piece as a whole.
After that, I moved the individual tracks (in alphabetical order) by offsetting them four seconds apart. Basses started at 0:00, cellos at 0:04, et al. Then I rendered a WAV file of this recording.
Loading the WAV into Sound Forge, I picked three sections I liked the most. Each one varied between 45 and 50 seconds in length. I saved those off as individual files I called “shortened” files.
Back in Acid, I took one of the shortened files and double tracked it, but I offset the tracks by a quarter of a second for effect. This idea was repeated three more times, with different “shortened” files added. By the end, it’s layered rather thick – the “madness” section.
Underneath all this, I have two files playing for most of the length of the piece – one is “offset” file, the other is a rendering of the original recording.
Once I got the arrangement down and the final part edited, I boosted the volume a little bit in Sound Forge and added a slight touch of warm reverb.
I had no idea what to call this, but while I was proofing the piece I thought it was a bit “dreamy” in the beginning and it descended into “madness” about two-thirds of the way through. Dreamy Madness. There you go.
I like it. It’s short. It’s got a beginning, a build up, the frantic “madness” part, and an almost-conventional ending. It’s kind of a psychedelic symphony.